Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Home

I am home now.  This is going to take some time to process and recover from both physically and emotionally, but I feel like I have benefitted from this experience immensely.  Both on the macro scale and on the personal scale, I have truly realized that no one person can make it alone.  Whether we want to admit it or not, we are all dependent on each other.  The people of Haiti have been knoocked down, and they need our help right now.  As a physician going into Haiti to help out, I was not a one man show.  We saw the one man show.  He talked a good game, ate the mission's food, changed a couple of dressings, and rode off into the sunset, barely leaving behind a footprint.  My show depended on Dr. Guesly Dessieux to arrange the trip, I depended on Etienne and Betty Prophete to give me a place to sleep, food to eat, interpreters to talk, and a clinic to work in.  I relied upon my felow team members to organize the pharmacy, to get patients ready to be seen.  I also relied on my "5 moms" on the trip who would get after me for being too skinny and make me eat, who would help me find my pens, stethescope, passport, bed, whatever I needed at any particular time.  (Full disclosure: like most men and even more doctors, I am not an excessively detail oriented person.)  I relied on my wife and family who suddenly had to deal with me being gone for 10 days. I depended on my employer Capital Region to let me go and also to supply me.  I never even asked, I just said I was going and I needed medicine and supplies and I needed it tomorrow.  I also depended on the generosity of countless donors and support people.  I will actually list everyone individually, but that will have to wait another day...I'm still sleep deprived. My point is that I have a lot of people telling me what a great thing it is that I have done, but I am only the smallest part of something much larger than myslef, and I alone would never have been able to accomplish anything.  This is what being part of the human race is about.
Our final tally was about 2300 patients seen in 8 days, not bad for a spa vacation.
Our task is not finished, though.  We will be returning to Haiti.  We will be continuing to raise money.  I think we have a good network in country and we will be able to see our money and efforts directly going to help haiti stand back up on her feet.  The needs will be great in the upcoming months for physical and occupational therapists and mental health professionals.  I will continue to keep everyone updated on our progress and plans.
Thank you,
Doug Boudreau

3 comments:

  1. Doug,
    So thankful you are home and safe! I'm sure Jennifer and your kids are happy to see you!! We have been following you every day. It makes the tragedy in Haiti seem much more tangible for us being able to read your words about your experiences. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been. Your photos of you and some of your patients make me think of the quote, "To the world, you may be just one person, but to one person, you may be the world!"
    I am so proud of you, and I know the rest of the family is too.
    You are an inspiration baby brother. Get some rest!
    Love,
    MP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug,
    Welcome home! Our thoughts and prayers followed you on your journey and have thankfully brought you home safely. You have used your gifts to bring comfort to many people in Haiti. We are all so proud of you! Sleep well big brother. Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stating so eloquently what has been on my mind since the trip. I've not known how to respond to the praise I've received for doing something that is a duty to our world community. It was a great team and I was honored to be a part of it...and I liked your characterization of a certain other physician who shall remain nameless, but in my memory forever as an example of how not to be. Hope to see you on another trip! Lori Borella, M.D.

    ReplyDelete