Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Bienvenue a Haiti

Well I made it to Fonds Parisien safely around 6pm last night. My trip to say the least has been quiet interesting. I will start off with my experience at the Kansas City airport. I packed three bags full of medications all weighing under 50lbs of course. When I arrived at the airport I was told by the "polite" agent that Haiti currently has a bag embargo and I am not allowed to take more than two bags. So I was forced to leave medication behind that could have been used to help many people.
The flight to Haiti was a little bumpy. We ran into some turbulence and the plane dropped several feet a couple of times. All over the plane you can hear the Haitian people screaming " Jezi! Jezi! Jezi!" Then they started praying and singing Haitian songs. Let's just say there was a huge round of applause and cheering when the plane landed in PAP.

The airport was what I remembered it to be, hot and muggy with no sense of organization. When I made it past immigration, Edwens Prophete was standing there waiting for me and the other four individuals I meet at the PAP airport that were for Colorado. It took us about an hour to find our luggage on the carousel. Like any third world country money talks, so we were able to pay one of the agents $20 to bypass customs. We made it past the chaos outside the airport, people trying to grab your luggage and carry it so that they can charge you for carrying it. Two other guys from HCM were able to meet us outside and protect us from the craziness. PAP was a little more lively than what it was in January. Vendors were back on the streets selling items, music was blaring from the radio's and there was what seemed to be laughter in the streets.

Well I feel like I have written enough already about my day yesterday. I will post a blog about my day today, tomorrow. We were suppose to do mobile clinics starting tomorrow but the clinic we were going to couldn't host us so we will go on Wednesday.
Thank you for your support, I and the people of Haiti thank you.


P.S. We have a massage therapist on this trip and I think I will take advantage of her.

1 comment:

  1. Sabine, glad you made it safely. The bags thing still chafes me, but we will use those meds sometime (and, folks, the soccer balls I wanted to send). Did Port-au-Prince look any better in terms of rubble? I wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete