Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Day 4--Sara We and They

I am struggling to fight saying the words 'they' and 'us/we'. It is hard to not be divisive when there are so many obvious things different. The Haitian people definitely are broke but they are rich in other ways. I watched for a while yesterday, several families playing in the stream and taking a break in the heat of the day. When we got back to the mission house, everyone was immediately on their phones posting. I couldn't help but think how wrong we have it. They are enjoying life and each other and we aren't living it, we are posting about it. (There are those words again) I'm excited about the trip today where I only have the option to live in the here and now and SEE, HEAR, FEEL, EXPERIENCE. 
A small group is breaking off today to trek across the mountains to a small village. The Swaim girls volunteered- no one else wanted to go. I was told it is a 6 hour trip each way and I think that is why no one wants to go... But I think it will end up being less. I volunteered right away because I love adventure! I wish we were camping under the stars but sadly, we have dorms with running water (I say this only half joking). 

No comments:

Post a Comment