Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Reflections--Jeanne Boudreau

Myriad emotions sweep over me upon returning home on Sunday.  I am happy to be safely home enjoying the simple pleasures of clean water, hot shower, cool air and my own bed.   I have put my life on hold for an incredible week in Haiti and feel sad the experience was over so quickly.    It is going to take some time to process all that I saw and experienced.
My expectations going into the trip are open ended and influenced by what I have seen on TV.  I am not prepared for what I see in Port-au-Prince.  The reality of the earthquake’s impact is still evident,  even though some of the rubble is cleared.  The seething mass of humanity living in such squalor overwhelms me.  I will never forget the smell of the rotting burning garbage mixed with diesel exhaust. Nor will I forget what I see: the knotted traffic, the dusty roads,  the pathwork tent cities, the press of people, ehe brightly colored Tap-Tap's loaded with passengers , or the motorcycles, often triple or quadruple loaded weaving in an out of traffic.  It puzzles me how they all are able to survive.  I try to imagine living in a tent and what a normal day is like here.  Interspersed in the crowds are well dressed people, women in bright colors, and men in clean white shirts and ties.  I wonder how they are able clean their bodies and wash their clothes.  We drive through the market where the semi trucks from the Dominican deliver goods to the people.  People are everywhere buying goods to resell.  Women carry their purchases on their heads.  The streets are lined with individuals selling their merchandise.  I wonder where people get the money to purchase these goods to sell and how their customers have money to buy them.   They appear to be very resourceful and able to survive. They go about their lives and seem content.  This is so much for me to absorb and understand!
Once we leave the city, I am surprised by the vast expanse of land and the beauty of the countryside with the mountains, lake and ocean. I observe many contrasts as we journey through the land.  There is the treeless side of the mountains vs. the forested side of the mountains. I see small villages with cinder block houses and then elegant homes in the hills.  The tent cities cluster in the midst of affluent areas.  There is so much evidence of extreme poverty everywhere, but   somehow  people have cell phones, even in the poorest of villages.   I feel anger at those people who have acquired wealth at the expense of the poor people and the corrupt government unable to help their people.  To me, it seems so hopeless.  I wonder how the Haitian people feel about the situation.
The highlight of my week is my experience with the Haitian children.  As a non medical person my responsibility is to oversee Vacation Bible School.  I am informed before I leave that I could expect anywhere from 200-400 children.  This is a bit of a surprise to me since I am only planning for around 50 children.  I take a duffel bag full of supplies which I hope will be enough for everyone.
The translators and some of the medical team join me and my 2 granddaughters for our first session. We journey up a rocky winding narrow road to a remote farming village in the mountains.  These villagers make their living growing vegetable in terraced gardens on the steep hillsides.  The mountain side has the appearance of a patchwork quilt.


  We are greeted by about 40 children on the steps of the church.  I think to myself, this will be a piece of cake.  This all changes very quickly as word of our arrival spreads rapidly as we are setting up. 

The children pour though the doorway and make their way to the wooden benches.  They are amazingly orderly.  The translators assist me in telling a bible story.  They sing one of their songs to us and I think I will teach them “Jesus Loves Me”.  To my surprise they already know it and sing it to us.  I do teach them one song.  We pass out coloring pages of various Christian symbols and one crayon to each child.
  They all share their colors and produce some very colorful pictures.  We also make a large circle and play pass the “hot potato” with a soccer ball.  Everyone loves the game and do not want to quit.  We leave the first day feeling we had a successful day but began making plans to meet the challenges of the second session. 
Once again we made the journey up the mountain.  This time we are better organized.  We keep the children outside until we have set up separate work stations in the church.  We divide the children up by age groups and let each group in one at a time.  They are very orderly and waiting patiently.  Each person on the team is assigned to a group and does some simple crafts with each group.
 
The last of the groups consists of about 40 older children, predominately young boys, who I take to an adjacent building.  I have to quickly come up with an activity for my group.  Thank goodness I brought lots of tissue paper and pipe cleaners, string and balloons.   Believe it or not these children enjoy making  folded tissue flowers.  They also have fun playing “Stomp the balloon”.  Each child blows up a balloon and ties it around his ankle.  We allow 10 people to play at a time.  I join the group with another team member for the first round.  Thanks goodness my balloon is popped quickly before I got hurt.  It was a rambunctious group.  The translators and the pastor do a good job of controlling the children. 
After all activities are over, we gather in the church.  One of the translators is a great singer and leads the group in song.   We offer a parting prayer and leave.  The women of the village have prepared roasted fresh corn for all of us.  As we are leaving, I felt the presence of God in this beautiful place.  His spirit has truly been with us all during these 2 days in the mountains of Haiti.  I feel at peace.  I will never forget the experience.   I hope to return, God willing!
Jeanne


 














No comments:

Post a Comment