Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sunday, May 13, 2012---Day of Travel

I am sorry for the delay in uploading the first post. The Internet service has not been the best since arriving to Haiti.  Everyone and all the luggage made it to Haiti safely which is a first for the Oregon team. I am referring to the luggage and not the team members.  On Saturday after arriving we take a tour of the campus and then headed over to the orphanage to spend time with the children ( I really want to see Gigi and Magdala, my two favorite orphans), and meet the two new orphans- Esther, who is only a month and some weeks old and Naline, who is about 6yrs old. Gigi, of course, has now grown pretty attached to everyone except for me. She just starts crying when I hold her. I will keep going to see her until she gets comfortable  with me. On  Sunday morning we  go to church and then do a tour of Port au Prince. The church service is fun. We have to sing a song for the people on Sunday. It is a little unrehearsed but I think we do great. During the tour I am surprised to see a lot of the tent cities which were set up around the city gone and the parks cleaned. The rubble from the streets is even cleaned up. I hope this means that the country is finally trying to move forward from the horrible disaster. The students are experiencing a little culture shock but I think they are handling it pretty well. We unpack the suitcases on Sunday and set things up for the first mobile clinic which will be tomorrow in a town past Tomars. Sabine

No comments:

Post a Comment