Search This Blog

Friday, May 4, 2012

The last two days, I was asked to give some immunology lectures.  This was the reason I was asked to come on the trip. I think this was probably the most nervous I had ever been prior to giving a seminar.  The seminar was for a group of residents at a hospital in Saint-Marc.  There were about 9 residents in attendance and all very interested in what I had to say.  Dr. Toussaint was my translator and confessed to some nerves as well.  Neither of us should have been.  It all went very well.  There were no translation issues and the residents had a lot of questions, some of them I couldn't answer on the spot, so I had a lot of work to do for the next day's lectures.  I was told that some of them were preparing to begin taking the US board exams so this was a great help for them.

I was also asked to spend some more time in the clinic this morning.  Mainly to take pictures of the team working. As non-medical personnel, any hospital experience is impressive, but this one was truly amazing.  I was able to take pictures of one of Elizabeth and Jana's surgeries. They all seem to be doing well and in great spirits and even though they don't always have the best of technology or medications they are successfully completing multiple surgeries every day.
 
Later on I watch Cole suture some large lacerations on an elderly woman who had fallen into a well.  Her daughter is with her and holds her hand.  Cole does his best to ensure her comfort, but still has to contend with the language barrier to convince the woman not to move her head while stitches.


In the evening we were taken on a hike through mountains by two OSAPO staff and we are greeted by adults and children of the surrounding areas.  The poverty here is very noticeable, but the spirit and joy so many of these people have in spite of the situations is inspiring.  I can see why so many people fall in love with this place and have been constantly thinking about what I can do to help on our next visit.

This entire experience has been amazing.  The physicians and staff of OSAPO are wonderful and have taken such care to make sure that we feel welcome. We are taken on a hike through mountains by two OSAPO staff and we are greeted by adults and children of the surrounding areas.  The poverty here is very noticeable, but the spirit and joy so many of these people have in spite of the situation is inspiring.





No comments:

Post a Comment