Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Hey Hey!  The Missouri/New York crew is still hard at work here at the OSAPO clinic.  Our Gynecology surgery team has been working day and night on some pretty complicated cases, and each one has presented its own unforeseen challenges and surprises....  Apparently uterine fibroids are very common here.. and they mean business.
  Meanwhile, clinic has been bustling as well. Tuesday was a little slower because it was "Market Day" around here, so people had other things they had to tend to. But Monday and Wednesday made up for it. With the help of my trusty nurse/translator, I've been able to see over 60 people in clinic.  And I have to say, my Family Practice skills are being maxed out. I've seen a range from 1 month old to 80-somethings, and their illnesses are even more varied.  I've seen congenital malformations, tetanus, and lots of pregnant ladies getting their first prenatal visit - some of them are about to deliver!   I"ve seen a testicular hydrocele that I considered to be HUGE, so I got to go to the OR to assist in that procedure, and he went home today. I've seen male infertility, GERD, STDs, sickle cell, malaria, and lots of other fun stuff.  There are a lot of kids with acute little infections, and adults with chronic conditions. The tricky part is finding out what has already been done for them, and what I can add to help them out.  Luckily, there are a lot of great people working here, and we are able to provide some high-quality care to a very grateful population.
  The dedication that so many people are putting into this clinic is very inspiring, and I'm so glad to be a small part of it. I really didn't know what to expect when I came down here. I had heard great things from our trip organizer, Sandra Beldor, but she didn't even do it justice. It's something that is hard to explain from the inside, and hard to totally comprehend from the outside.  I guess everyone will just have to come down here and find out for themselves. They won't be disappointed.

1 comment: